Wedding Insurance

Often referred to as “wedding” insurance, special event insurance can be used to cover a 50th-anniversary party, a bar mitzvah, a graduation party, or any special occasion you might be planning. Special event insurance is designed to provide financial protection if you have to cancel or postpone a gathering due to adverse weather and natural disasters such as hurricanes.

Most policies also provide coverage for cancellation due to the death, illness, or serious injury of key participants in the event, such as members of the immediate family. Also, if an officiant, such as a minister or rabbi, or a key vendor, like the caterer, florist, or photographer, does not show up, you can recover some of the costs.

Prices range from around $125 up to approximately $400, depending on the amount of coverage you need.
Additional riders may include coverage for:

  • Military service—if the bride or groom is in the military or active reserves and is suddenly called to duty.
  • Gowns and tuxedos—includes stores going out of business or damage to the clothing.
  • Gifts—if gifts are not covered by your homeowners’ or renters’ insurance, it protects against theft or damage of gifts.
  • Honeymoon—in case you need to cancel your trip due to illness, bad weather, or other circumstances.
  • Professional counseling—when the cancellation or postponement of the event causes severe emotional stress (a doctor’s note will be needed).

Many companies also offer separate liability insurance, but many event sites already have their own liability insurance. However, if you are holding the event at home, you may want to purchase liability insurance above and beyond what is provided under your homeowners’ policy.

Before purchasing special event or wedding insurance, find out the following:

  • How much the policy will cost, and how much reimbursement you can expect if a loss occurs.
  • What, specifically, is and is not covered by the policy.
  • Whether you have coverage elsewhere through credit cards, warranties, or through a home, auto or liability, or other insurance policies you may already have.